CAF HIV/HCV Education and MSM Outreach Coordinator
External Post Closing: June 14, 2019 by 12:00 PM
Full-time: $49,939.20 / year
Please note that the funding for this position concludes March 31, 2022. An application process for new funding under the new Community Action Fund may be tendered by PHAC, but the outcome of any application made by ACNBA is never guaranteed.
Scope of the Position:
The HIV/HCV Education and MSM Outreach Coordinator will provide education and outreach to at-risk and priority populations across our catchment area and through social media. This position will coordinate, design and deliver education and training sessions and provide harm reduction services.
The incumbent is accountable to the Executive Director.
- 2 years’ experience working in a community setting;
- Thorough knowledge and experience of HIV, HCV and STBBIs, harm reduction and peer support models;
- Strong knowledge of issues affecting marginalized communities;
- Experience working with diverse agencies and working successfully in partnership with these; agencies
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the local health and social service sector, government programs and current legislation that may affect clients;
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to anticipate potential problems/conflicts and take appropriate actions and to meet deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation, and communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member within an evolving role in a multi-disciplinary environment;
- Excellent advocacy and negotiation skills;
- Strong commitment to health promotion, community development and adult education;
- Excellent knowledge of MS computer applications and other office related software;
- Ability to work some evening and/or weekend shifts;
- Must be able to work in a variety of social and physical settings;
- Ability to fundraise effectively through proposal writing and existing and future agency fundraisers.
Responsibilities and Related Tasks:
- Education and Outreach
- Active outreach in the region/community (including correctional facilities) that are frequented by at risk community members living with/at risk of acquiring HIV, HCV and STBBIs in order to bridge to program and treatment teams, including MSM;
- Deliver group and individual prevention education and peer support;
- Coordinate educational presentations, seminars, workshops, in-services, consultations and information displays
- Coordinate public forums and/or other activities for community events (e.g. National AIDS Awareness Week, World AIDS Day).
- Prepare and submit statistics related to the education program to the Executive Director;
- Develop and assemble education information packages for distribution;
- Respond to correspondence and maintain organized files and records;
- Design and develop training materials;
- Routinely compile, enter and report confidential data at agency and funder’s request;
- Ensure that all necessary reports are completed and submitted to the appropriate sources, meeting set deadlines;
- Participate in the planning of program evaluation initiatives;
- Maintain and develop professional competence and learning;
- Participate in agency fundraising activities;
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director;
- Prepare and submit articles related to the education program in the agency newsletter, Everything ACNBA.
- Work with agency Harm Reduction Team to ensure timely ordering to maintain adequate supplies of condoms, needles, gloves etc.;
- Update statistical forms and develop, distribute and analyze questionnaires/evaluations to community groups in order to assure program accountability and quality.
- Volunteer and Peer Education Program
- Provide on-going training and education to volunteers/peers specific to the educational, outreach programs or project goal requirements;
- Provide website updates to the Communications and Resource Coordinator.
- Media and Public Relations
- Initiate articles and respond to letters and interviews related to educational events, coordinating with the Communications and Resource Coordinator as needed.
- Community Liaison and Outreach
- Network with internal and community partners to make available HIV, HCV and STBBI’s education and outreach;
- Regularly liaise with (but not limited to): health and social service agencies, gay, lesbian, bisexual and trans-gendered organizations, sexual health clinics, schools, universities, women’s organizations, shelters and correctional institutes;
- Participate in regular information sharing with the Ontario AIDS Network (OAN), the Canadian AIDS Society (CAS) and Canadian Positive Peoples Network (CPPN);
- Present and/or participate in appropriate conferences, workshops and professional development events.
Work within the scope of a strong team environment.
Application (cover letter, resume and three employment references) in person or by email (PDF format only) by 12:00 PM on Friday, June 14, 2019 to:
AIDS Committee of North Bay & Area – HIV / Hep C Services
201 – 269 Main Street West, North Bay, ON P1B 2T8
Attention: Stacey Mayhall, Executive Director